Richmond Home

CAPS Frequently Asked Questions

But wait, I just want to meet with someone one-on-one!

And you can! Most students will be encouraged to start with the well-being seminars, and/or TAO online.

The well-being seminars are set up similar to a class, where you will be learning and practicing skills. There is no expectation to share personal details about yourself or what brings you to CAPS.

Group settings not for you? Or, unable to make one of our in-person sessions? We have another option! The TAO programs provide useful online modules that can be completed at anytime, anywhere!

If you would prefer to not go through our process of obtaining an individual counselor, we can offer a list of off-campus providers that may better serve your needs. You may also refer to your insurance website as well as to find a local therapist.

I just need/want medication

Only students who are engaged in on-going CAPS counseling services are eligible to continue to make appointments with a psychiatric provider. Students who are only interested in taking medication will be assisted in finding an appropriate provider off-campus (at the student's expense).

How quickly can I be seen for CAPS services?

CAPS services are oriented to provide rapid access via a brief consultation with one of our counselors to review your needs and discuss recommendations for care going forward.

Students have immediate access to any of our Well-Being Seminars, typically offered multiple times each week throughout the semester.

Students have 24/7/365 access to TAO self-help, both of which will teach you valuable skills to manage various mental health concerns.

Students who need individual counseling will be scheduled as soon as possible.

What if I am already working with a mental health provider off-campus?

If you are currently seeing an off-campus professional for mental health services, and can continue to work with them, you are strongly encouraged to continue care with your current provider.

When does CAPS refer a student for off-campus services?

Students who present concerns that require longer or more intensive treatment, expertise not available at CAPS, or services that are outside of the scope of CAPS services are offered assistance with a referral to off-campus practitioners who are able to provide such care. CAPS provides referral services either after the brief consultation appointment or as these factors become more apparent during the course of services. The CAPS case manager or the treating clinician can assist students with identifying referral options, connecting with the referral, and finding additional resources as necessary.

A referral or transition of care may occur when:

• A student has been mandated or required to get services.

• A student only desires medication therapy.

• Brief therapy is not clinically indicated and/or is potential detrimental/non-beneficial for the student’s presenting concerns based on available treatment guidelines, clinical knowledge/experience, and professional standards of practice.

• A student needs or requests weekly therapy.

• A student needs or requests longer-term, or open-ended psychotherapy.

• A student needs or requests uninterrupted therapy throughout the duration of their time at UR.